Wednesday 24 August 2011

Yum!

Well the last week or so I haven't been able to cook that much, dinner mostly. But today I got to make Chocolate Mousse. Yay!!

Chocolate Mousse
200gm cooking chocolate (dark or milk)
3 eggs separated
300ml thickened cream (that can be whipped)

Method
NB: There are two ways that I know how to make it. Whipping/beating both the egg white and cream separately or just beating the eggs. In this recipe I've just done the eggs.

File a medium pot with a couple of centimetres of water, just enough that it doesn't touch the heat proof bowl. Put the chocolate and 1/4 cup of the cream into the bowl. Put the stove on low heat and let it simmer away. When the chocolate starts to melt slowly stir the ingredients.

NB: Don't have any water anywhere near the chocolate because it will seize up and you'll have to start again :(

While that is melting you can get the eggs separated. I do that by carefully cracking the egg into two halves, the egg yolk goes into a little bowl and the white goes into a small or medium bowl. You can use you're hands or a contraption if you want.

Take the heat proof bowl off the stove when the chocolate and cream are combined and let it cool down.

Using an electric beater - or if you're hardcore a whisk - and beat the egg whites till you get bubbles to form and it rises up (this is called soft peaks).

The first time I did this I had no idea what was suppose to happen, and I used a whisk and I didn't beat it hard and fast enough. The eggs just went white. The more you know!

Now when the chocolate mix has cooled down you can put the yolks in and stir till it's combined. Then you can pour in half the remaining cream and half the egg whites and slowly fold it in. The last half of both can be put in and combined.

Spoon the mixture into cups or glasses and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight (or if you do it in the morning till night time).

I also made a chicken veggie stew ... without the chicken. I just used stock because we ran out of chicken -_- I'll post that tomorrow. Now I'm going to play some more Morrowind!

No comments: